The Voice is now live, and we were on hand yesterday to watch the Top 12 artists perform for your votes. Afterward, we spoke to several of the finalists – as well as coach Adam Levine – and here are five of the most entertaining or memorable soundbites from Monday night.
1) Kristen Merlin doesn’t think montaging artists is a good thing: Team Shakira’s country singer brushed off a microphone failure that left half her performance falling on deaf ears, but she did admit to a little apprehension when it came to The Voice‘s practice of montaging certain pre-taped performances. “It makes me nervous that people haven’t had a lot of face time with me. And that’s okay. I just have to take the stage and just rock it every time,” said Kristen, who got the montage treatment during battle rounds. “It kind of made me a little nervous tonight when [the microphone] cut out. I was like ‘They need to hear me!’ But it’s all good.”
2) Jake Worthington and Audra McLaughlin don’t know what’s in Blake Shelton’s cup either: It’s one of the show’s biggest mysteries, and it looks like it’s going to stay that way awhile longer. Neither Team Blake artists knows what their coach is drinking. “Honestly, I don’t know. I noticed that he loves Starbucks, so it looks like to me that it’s an iced green tea,” guessed Audra, while Jake told us, “You’ll have to ask him. That ain’t my business to tell!”
3) Even Kat Perkins thinks she should perform with Kat Robichaud: They share first names and an appreciation for rock, so we’ve been thinking a team-up between Team Adam’s frontrunner and Team Cee Lo’s crowdsurfer is in order. Turns out Kat Perkins is on board with this idea, too. “She reached out to me on Twitter the other day. She says she’s recording her record, and I can’t wait to get it, because I was a huge fan of hers last year,” she said. “I can’t wait to hear her record and maybe sing with her one day.” We’ll be first in line to buy tickets for that performance.
4) Team Usher thinks that their coach should consider releasing a workout DVD: After he made Josh Kaufman run a lap during rehearsal for his performance, we asked what Usher’s artists thought about the idea of an official Usher workout video, and response was pretty positive. “I think it’s a great idea. Because he’s definitely a drill sergeant and he gets us ready for the stage,” enthused T.J. Wikins. Agreed his teammate Josh Kaufman, “I think it’s a good idea. People would be into it, right?” Tell us what you think – would you take fitness advice from Usher?
5) Adam Levine on the difference when it comes to coaching for America’s vote: Asked what it’s like to prepare a singer to impress you rather than to win him over, Adam explained his philosophy about coaching in the live rounds. “I think that the most important thing right now, as far as I’m concerned, now that we don’t have any control, is to make them feel comfortable and confident,” he told us. “That’s number one. If you don’t do that, you’re in a lot of trouble. You need to instill them with that confidence because now you can’t protect them. We’re no longer the ones they need to impress.”
The Voice narrows its Top 12 down to Top 10 tonight at 8 PM ET/PT on NBC.